Apr 29

I had a big week in class last week. As I’ve said earlier, my role this year in the 5/6 level has led to me being, among other things, a support teacher in a variety of curriculum areas. The week just past saw me taking workshops and lessons across Reading, Writing and Inquiry. I had a similar role last year but always felt like I wasn’t accepted by the students as their ‘teacher’ because I wasn’t always around due to my other responsibilities. It was only late last year after I attended a Tech Conference and was introduced to the potential of Edmodo that I was able to make a real and lasting connection with the Grade 6 students in a real way. After the conference, I was asked to take a Literature Circle group by the Grade 6 teachers and I quickly saw Edmodo as a vehicle I could use to work with them outside of physical contact time. It worked really well as a test case. This year, with that experience behind, I decided to go full steam ahead with every workshop and lesson group I plan.

At the moment I am involved with the Grade 6 students in a Ballad Poetry workshop ( I wrote about that last week), an Inquiry workshop investigating the issue of Urban Sprawl and a Reading Comprehension group with both Grade 5 and 6 students. ( I haven’t signed the Grade 5 students up with Edmodo yet).

Each of the Grade 6 groups are connected to each other and myself through an Edmodo small group within the main Grade 6 group. I decided to use small groups so that it is easy just to switch groups of children in and out of focus groups rather than give them codes every couple of weeks to join new groups. It has also allowed the other Grade 6 teachers to create and manage their own groups easily while also having access to their students who are working for me.

What I have found already is how engaged the students immediately became the moment they were given the opportunity to use a social networking environment. Children who never open their mouths in discussions were suddenly asking and responding to multiple questions from teacher and student alike. Students who rarely express opinions were involved in debates, linking to websites and Youtube videos to back up their opinions. Individuals who in the past have found it difficult to submit any work on time were uploading multiple revisions of assignments after getting timely feedback. This is just a snapshot of the response I, and the other teachers who quickly jumped on board over the course of the week when they saw the initial response from my groups, received during the week. I want to go into a bit more detail about each group interaction now.

URBAN SPRAWL INQUIRY

I began this inquiry workshop with a shared text outlining the basic premise of Urban Sprawl. What I did differently from the past was I allowed the children to sit with laptops beside them as we read the text. They were allowed to use Edmodo to post reactions, new learning and questions that arose from the content of the text. I had worked with many in this group last year in a variety of settings and some rarely provided any feedback or made any meaningful contributions. It was these very students who became key contributors to the conversation here. The freedom to use Technology and their natural environment of social networking/chatting opened up channels of communication that traditional chalk and talk or rotating brainstorm sheets didn’t engage them in.

One student’s question led to multiple responses from others that deepened the inquiry beyond my initial goals. Questions about the content enabled the group to post new concepts to investigate within the broader topic. As a result, within 3 sessions, I have teams of children investigating issues of traffic and transport, access to facilities like education and hospital services and the pros and cons of megacities, all without me suggesting any of it. I strongly believe based on past experiences without technology that this would not have happened without my encouragement if we had just read the text.

The engagement was evident when they posted their own links to Youtube videos of local politicians talking about Urban Sprawl issues, Annotated Google Maps showing distances from outlying suburbs to city hospitals, and links to maps of train networks as they discussed online the inequalities of train travel for some outer suburbs. I’m away with the Grade 5s on Camp next week but I know that I leave this group with a shared understanding of the issues to discuss with other class members without me being there. HAving said that, as an ubergeek teacher, I have also said I will be checking in via my iPhone or iPad from camp to see what they are doing and would be available to support them online if necessary.

BALLAD POETRY GROUP

I spoke at length in my last post about this so this is more of an update of how these sessions have progressed. All students have taken the opportunity to post attempts on Edmodo. Admittedly, there has not been much interaction between the students in this case but they have appreciated the timely feedback to their questions ands attempts from me. As a result, some (but not all) students have posted drafts of verses for me to feedback on and then responded with edited posts. Each student has uploaded their ballad plans for me to have access to, enabling me to provide advice directly to them. The fact that using Edmodo means submitting digital texts means they are more willing to edit their work instead of rewriting entire texts each time if done via pen and paper.

On Friday, we collaboratively drafted a rubric to support them in their writing but I took it away to polish it up and structure in more detail. There was too much of a delay for some who wanted access to it straight away ( One girl posted a request for it at 7 am Saturday morning) and so one of the students took it upon herself to post a link to an online study guide about Ballads which was quickly appreciated by others through replies. Again, while I’m away on Camp, I promised them I would continue to check in and provide feedback to them, something I couldn’t have done in the past.

THE READING COMPREHENSION GROUP

I had two aims for this group. One was for instant responses and shared feedback on comprehension questions in an open forum. The other was to encourage independent editing and revising of work through the Assignments feature of Edmodo.

We started this group work with a shared reading of a newspaper article, using 3 Level Guide statements to encourage conversation on the article. The children were asked to justify the accuracy of the statements by providing evidence in the text. By having the article linked to our Edmodo group, the children had quick access to the article for cross referencing and were able to copy/paste quotes to back up their arguments. By posting their responses online, we could challenge each others opinions instantly, either through verbal feedback with our online conversation on the iWB or through posting replies either during the group session at school, or as often occurred, continuing the discussion online at home. This challenged the children to question their responses and also to provide further explanation rather than the quick responses we often get through one off replies in standardised tests or one session tasks. The inclusion of social networking tools gives that extra think time and the opportunity to add to your opinions after hearing what others have to say. This helps to develop a deeper level of thinking than we get from one chance only tasks.

As a follow up task, I set them an assignment to submit by the end of the week. I made it clear that I wanted them to submit their drafts online through Edmodo’s Assignments section and that I would respond quickly with feedback and expected a second ( or third) edited response. The students responded positively to this and all but one of the 15 students gave me at least a second revision, responding effectively to the feedback in both structure and additional detail. I’m a strong believer that word processing tools should be used at all stages of the writing process as it encourages students to make revisions if they don’t have to do complete rewrites of handwritten texts. My role as the teacher was to give timely feedback so that they saw the worth of early submission and multiple revisions. All the students who participated fully produced a final copy at the expected level.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Part of adjusting to the concept of 21st Century Learning or Contemporary Learning  (whatever you choose to call it) is playing to the strengths of your students. Social Networking is ingrained in their way of being so it use seems like a no brainer that we utilise that in our teaching. The increased engagement I have seen in just one week of using Edmodo with this years’ Grade 6s for the first time makes me even more convinced of its merit. If it gets more than just that usual 20% who contribute to every lesson involved then it has already made a difference. From what I have seen in this short time frame, along with last year’s experiment, it does a lot more than that.

I’d like to hear from other teachers of your personal experiences of using this type of social networking in classrooms, both successes and challenges ( it wasn’t perfect -one child did manage to post a picture of a mouse on a mouse during the Urban Sprawl lesson!!). Join the conversation.

14 Responses to “The power of Social Networking in Grade 6 with Edmodo”

1. Mrs Miller Says:

My class love edmodo too and I too use it extensively across many subject areas. I have found one of the best ways to use it, is with my literacy circle reading groups. I have three novels on the go in my class this term and I have created three small reading groups, one for each book. We will be using edmodo to share ideas, discuss the novel, pose questions and give answers. Just like you. I will also allow students to role-play characters from the novels as they love this. I do this by creating ‘fake’ student accounts in the name of the main characters from their novels. You might like to try that. I also use edmodo as a space to upload great examples of student work. They love that too as they never know who will have their work selected to be showcased to the group.
    What I have not done is allow them to have edmodo open as they read and to encourage questions that way. I love that idea and I will try it next week.

Thanks for a great post.

2. mgleeson Says:

Thanks for the reply, Henrietta. I agree that Literature Circles lends itself so well to Edmodo. I love the idea of the fake accounts for character role play. I think our students will jump at that chance for a bit of creativity in their literature responses. Thanks again for introducing me to Edmodo last year. It has made a big difference to my teaching role this year.

3. joanne Says:

Sounds wonderful. My question is -how much of the edmodo communication took place at home vs in class? Our students do not all have internet access at home so wondering how to get through that hurdle. Thanks.

• mgleeson Says:

I’ve always made sure the students without Internet access at home have extra opportunities at school to access the Internet so they can complete work in the same way as the others. Alternatively if they have computers at home but not Internet thy can bring the work in on a USB stick then transfer it. There are always tech obstacles to face but you can’t let that prevent you from innovating. At my current school the students have virtually 100% Internet access at home ( I do an online survey each year to assess computer access )

4. leesensei Says:

Just completed a pro-d for my school on the usefulness of this tool. Unfortunately our English dept could not be there…have forwarded this link!
    Colleen Lee
    leesensei.edublogs.org

5. Rodrigue Says:

I’ve also been using edmodo regularly (once a week) with my grade 12college English class. In general, the college level English classes at my school present all sorts of challenges, particularly when it comes to academics and behaviour. Edmodo helps me deal with these challenges. Mon. to Thurs. I work with the students in my regular classroom, presenting content, practicing skills, etc. Then on Fri. we go to a computer lab where the students respond to polls, quizzes, questions, etc. related to the previous days. This gives me concrete evidence as to whether or not my students are getting “it.” As you noted, Mark, through edmodo students who don’t normally speak up in class, now have a voice. And students who tend to speak too much — usually off topic! — are more reflective with what they post. The following Mon., back in the classroom, I can share some posts, clarify things as necessary and then move on. I just started this process in Feb. (2nd semester) after having a difficult 1st semester with my grade 12 class and I can tell you that edmodo has helped in a huge way.

• mgleeson Says:

Great to hear about the impact Edmodo has with older students too, Rodrigue. I noticed the lack of off topic chat too last week from some students. They were more focused on the task and allowed others the freedom from distraction to participate more fully.

6. MrGogan Says:

What do you do for the discussion board part of your lesson? Do you just use notes in the small group or do you use a google doc? I just introduced this in my class yesterday and the students love it. I want to take notes using it tomorrow and was curious on the discussion board aspect.

• mgleeson Says:

I just use the basic notes facility of Edmodo and the students reply within the bounds of a a discussion thread based on that note. Children can also start their own discussion thread with different notes.

7. Smita Says:

Thank you for sharing. I use Schoology in the classroom (not Edmodo) but its power of student collaboration is very impressive. Book discussions, group projects, and sharing other work are some of the examples of how I use these in the classroom.

8. Rosalind Says:

Hi Mark
    I really enjoy reading about how you have been integrating ICT into the classroom. I have been using edmodo for the past 3 years and find it really useful in assignment and homework. How do you assess your literature circle? I just need some ideas on assessing them either self or peer assessment.

9. Saja Says:

I’m interested in how you manage the Edmodo discussion. Do you simply post a question and students reply? Do you ask (assign?) them to post a question? This was the first year I used Edmodo and some students took to it, while others never responded to any posted questions. I’m in a special situation that would take too long to explain here, but I’d really like to have some guidance to use this fully.

• mgleeson Says:

Hi Saja, thanks for the interest you have taken by asking a question. Without knowing your situation fully, I think it comes down to how you allow for interaction with Edmodo. If it is used in a teacher question/ student answer pedagogy, then it will become just a tech version of the traditional teacher student interaction which always has about 30% of students engaged regularly while rest contribute nothing. If, as I try to consistently use it, Edmodo is a student directed discussion driver DURING the lesson, where you AND the students can monitor student responses and direct the reticent to contribute, then I think you get responses from everyone. As a teacher I have to make sure I respond quickly to student contributions so they see that I value what I say. If questions are left unanswered, reluctant students will switch off. I have also enforced the procedure of submitting responses to assignments on line. The students have appreciated the feedback and mark the receive and it also allows me to monitor who has and hasn’t handed in work.
      I will soon be posting a follow up post to how this Edmodo trial is going where I will be able to go into more detail but I hope this reply helps.

10. missp06 Says:

I just signed up for an Edmodo account for the grade 5 and 6 students who I am teaching this year, though I’m still researching how I’m going to use it with them. This gave me some insight. Thank-you :)