Infographics – presenting Data and statistics in the 21st Century

I’m always looking for ways of presenting information to my students in more effective ways. I’ve recently discovered an explosion in a new way of representing data and information on the WWW called infographics. Obviously, they didn’t just start popping up this year, but they seem to be everywhere at the moment. They offer great possibilities in Education across many curriculum areas.

Ways to use Infographics

1. Tuning in to a topic. With today’s visual learner, Infographics present a great way to present information quickly without bombarding them with text. The breadth of information outlined in graphical form allows the whole grade to find some piece of info that they can share.
  2. Information source for a range of subjects. There are a host of infographics available on the sites shared in this post that cover History, Geography, Society, Economics, Science – just about everything. They are often current, relevant and up to date information sources that you can use to supplement your class program
  3. Data Analysis, statistics and fractions/percentages in Mathematics classrooms. Instead of limiting our students to text book sourced graphs that are often irrelevant in what they represent, use infographics for your Maths lessons. Every imaginable form of graphic representation is provided and the information is easily available for every student online to analyse in class or for homework. Post it to a blog or social networking site and students could engage in collaborative analysis on current issues. The breadth of percentage, fraction or decimal numbers on offer in these charts open up discussion about the real purpose for these numbers in real statistics. As a teacher, all the prep work is done, giving you time to prepare the possible analysis.
  4. An alternative way for presenting data for students to learn. In keeping with 21st Century learning, introducing students to infographics shows them a new way of data presentation that is being used across all fields of work today. Its a form not yet in most text books or curricula but is a real medium being used today that they can embrace. In an upcoming post, I will look t the types of web based and other programs that are available for students to create their own infographics. Just make sure you focus on current examples and the purpose of them before embarking on yet another tech tool!

Here are two websites I have found that have a great selection of infographics to use in schools. Like anything on the WWW, I strongly encourage you to curate appropriate examples rather than just giving unfettered access to the students ( depending on their age of course).

Infographics Archive sorts their infographics into categories for easy access to topics. As I said above, it is better if you searched for relevant infographics s a teacher as their is a Sex and Love category that you may not want your students accessing. There are some powerful infographics available so happy searching.

20120318-091132.jpg

Cool Infographics is another great site. It is set up as blog so uses tags rather than categories for searching for infographics topics. This is sometimes better as tags can drill down more specifically for what you are after. Again, be cautious in allowing access to younger students. I can’t guarantee the content of every infogrpahic here because of the tagging structure. Great possibilities, though.

20120318-091314.jpg

If anyone else has any other ideas on uses of Infographics, I would love for you to share them here. Any other links to sites would be appreciated as well.

6 thoughts on “Infographics – presenting Data and statistics in the 21st Century

1. Hi, interesting post, love it when people write about the use of infographics in the classrooms. I’d like to add a couple of sugestions, for those interested in infographics and data-visualization. First, the AllTop for Infographics, where the latest posts of the top blogs and sites are featured. And secondly, an invitation for all of you to visit our own Visual Loop, now with over 20.000 infographics in the archives.

Keep up the great work,

@TSSVeloso / @visualoop

2. I liked your post and your listed resources… I’m about to start a community outreach / public policy project with my students. Do you have any tips or resources on how to best build infographics? I’d really like to teach that 21st century skill…