Jan 23

PART TWO – the case FOR Sharing
In my last post, I sort of positioned myself in the “iPads can’t be shared” camp. When the boss first asked me about the possibility of getting iPads into our school, one of my first concerns was ‘ for sharing or individual use’. As teachers trialled them last year, they passed them among some eager students and came to the belief it was fine to share them with children who wanted to use them. Everyone has different opinions on the matter. Depends on how much you believe the kids could or should use the iPad. Reality in our situation though is that we are not going 1:1 so sharing is the only option. That being the case, we have to find solutions to the problems I discussed in the previous post.

Dropbox
This is the most obvious and best solution. For those who don’t know, Dropbox is a cloud based network with dedicated mobile and desktop apps that make saving files as simple as saving to a standard file folder. If you want more info, look it up.
With the Dropbox app installed on an iPad, children and teachers are able to save their work from many ( but far from all ) apps and if there is a compatible app on a computer, open it up there as well. Dropbox integration is available in most publishing apps (Pages, Numbers and Keynote being big exceptions) and a lot of other content creation and file sharing/reading apps. You can save attachments from your mail, the internet and other apps as well.

In some apps, like Notability, my favourite note taking app, even have automatic syncing to Dropbox. In my personal use, Dropbox has been a great way of accessing saved files. It is definitely a way of saving and opening files outside of the iPad file system.

However, there still are issues using Dropbox to support shared iPads. The hassle of having to login and log out of the Dropbox app every time a different user wants to access files could make it difficult for easy use. Some students and teachers may forget to do this and save their work in someone else’s folder. The fact that not all apps have Dropbox integration results in inconsistent access. The biggest problem at our school is that Dropbox doesn’t fully function over a proxy server setup that most schools in my system use. You can download your files but you can’t save to Dropbox. I’ve heard some schools have found workarounds to this but we haven’t solved it yet.

So is Dropbox a solution to sharing apps? Sort of – yes.

Googledocs.
Another possibility for sharing is Googledocs. Many publishing apps have Googledocs integration so files can be accessed and saved in the same way as I described in the Dropbox explanation. Same problems arise as well. So again, Googledocs is a “sort of – yes” solution.

Network accessing apps
There are a number of apps that allow you to access the file structures of our computers or network servers. my favorite app, and the one I use successfully is called FileBrowser. It allows me to login to the school network and my computers at home and access any files that the iPad can open. With compatible apps, you can also copy files back into the file system. When it’s possible, it’s a good solution. However, like all of these options, not every app allows you to use Filebrowser to save back, although you can pretty much always open files already in FileBrowser in any app ( except Apple’s own apps like Pages.)

iCloud
No. Least useful option. Good for syncing between personal iOS devices but that’s it. Apple has to do better here. At least integrate Dropbox with your apps. Feel free to disagree.

Email
20120123-195115.jpgMost fiddly but most reliable sharing option. Every content creation app has an email option. As long as your school allows children to email, this will work. It’s just a lot of steps to get access to a file. Having said that, five years ago, it’s what we all did.

Printing
Not quite sharing but obviously a way to hand completed work to someone so you don’t have to keep the file on the iPad. Printing difficulty is another of the criticisms of the iPad which I’m not going to argue about now. It can be done. While there are ridiculously few AirPrint compatible printers currently in schools, my advice is get one Mac on the network ( if you’re getting iPads I strongly advise having a Mac a your syncing computer; Windows and iTunes have a testy relationship at best) and spend $20 bucks on installing Printopia ( click for info). I’ve used it at our school without any problems.

My final solution – don’t care.
Seriously, if you just want to share the iPads and not worry about who’s accessing what, then there is no problem to begin with. If you decide that the iPad will  not be the main content creation device at your school and will be used for specific purposes it best suits, then it’s not an issue. At our school, where the 5/6 students have access to about 100 laptops and desktop computers, the iPads can exist happily as a specific use device.

However, if you are seriously considering iPads as replacements for shared computers and not value added devices, you will need to consider the issues I have raised. Can you share iPads? Sort of. It’s not my ideal setup but it’s something I’m going to have to come to terms with in my current situation (and get that Dropbox issue resolved!).

Again, I would like to hear from others who have successfully shared iPads in their school environment or others who have solved their sharing problems with solutions I have mentioned or ones I haven’t.

8 Responses to “Can you share iPads – the case for Yes.”

1. Viv Says:

Thanks for such a detailed analysis. Dropbox sounds like a partial option at least for saving your ipad files. I tend to agree though, that it remains necessary to have laptops as well as ipads, which are at the moment a great special purpose adjunct to other networking devices in the school.
    Is it possible to save any ipad files to the edmodo library? I know there is an edmodo app, and have downloaded it to my new ipad, but I am still on a steep learning curve with my new toy! Cheers and thanks:)

• mgleeson Says:

If we can get Dropbox working on proxy server, its a pretty good solution. Especially if we pair/group up children to a specific iPad that will mean only a few people using each one. Thanks to Dana Zora for giving me that idea in her comment on last post.

As for Edmodo file sharing on iPad, not yet in terms of uploading files but adding to library, tagging, adding links all work fine. There is an alternative browser to Safari on the iPad called iCab Mobile that actually allows the iPad to access the photos app to add some files if you use it for Edmodo instead of the app.It also downloads of YouTube videos and saving to Photos app as an extra feature.

In general though, the iPad system doesn’t allow for uploading to internet via web browsers, only downloading.

2. Rosko Says:

Were rolling out several hundred iPads K through 12, and are struggling with the same sharing questions. In the Art room I like Dropbox (bordering on love), but many of our pilot teachers are using Evernote.
    We’re not at all happy with Google Docs, so far anyway.

• mgleeson Says:

Thanks for the feedback, Rosko.

That is an issue in a big school environment when different departments have autonomy and have different preferences. I love Evernote and use it constantly but its more a note taking and storing solution rather than a file sharing/network setup like Dropbox, which I also can’t do without. I would suggest from my experience that less apps offer Evernote integration compared to Dropbox.

What’s your school’s beef with Google Docs?

3. Mrs Murphy Says:

Hi Mr G,

Just came across your blog and it is fantastic!

I am working in a school with 7 shared iPads and I am the lucky one to sync them up. Just wondering if you know a way of mirroring the set up of all of them to be the same? I have heard of an App called XCode to do this, but just wanted to check in to see if anyone has tried it out there.

Will keep checking in here. Thanks for all the tips.
    Áine

• mgleeson Says:

Hi Aine. Thanks for the positive vibe. At the moment my routine is to set up one iPad as the preferred setup with the wifi settings all set then back it up. When I set up new iPads I use the backup from the original iPad. Once they’re all up and running, automatic sync keeps them up to date and matching. I’ve seen XCode mentioned on a couple of iPad blogs. As an alleged Mac go to man I need to check it out to see if it will make my life easier.

Saw Kathleen Morris plug your blog today. Heading over to check it out.

4. Mary Kay Kubicek Says:

Thank you for the iPad sharing information! I was just handed a cart full of’em today so I’m trying to find out as much as I can.

How did you handle downloading apps? I have 24 iPads that I will be using for 5 different classes of 6th graders and was wondering how to set up the same apps on each one?

Thank you!

• mgleeson Says:

I just set up 30 this week. I’ve downloaded the apps onto a “host” iPad then backed that up onto my Mac. Then when setting up the rest of the iPads I used the set up from existing iPad option for setting up iPads . I selected the host iPads backup and then it’s done. I’m able to do eight iPads at a time with a hub, you just have to wait for the restore to finish and syncing to start before beginning th next iPad. Only a delay of about 2 minutes between each. After about 10 minutes I can walk away until the eight are set up then I can start the next set. Got them all done in a day. Make sure you have all the settings for wifi and everything else set up in the back up. All you have to then do is type in the wifi password on each one. More technically minded people probably do it better than me but with 30 it was pretty painless. Whole school would need a more technical setup that I haven’t tried yet.